Job and Career Information
Career Coaching @ the Library
Is this difficult economy having a negative effect on your career? Are you looking for a job or a new career and need assistance? Our Career Coach, Diane Reynolds, M.S., Counseling, has extensive experience helping individuals in career/job transition. She can help you one-on-one with any of the following:
- Improving interview skills
- Choosing or changing careers (testing is available)
- Using social media
- Write a Resume
And much more! Make an appointment by calling the Reference Desk, 627-2300 Ext. 201.
The Career Center, located on the 2nd Floor, offers:
- Information on the fastest growing industries and occupations including education requirements, salaries, training, associations
- Company directories including internship programs
- Circulating books on a variety of careers
- Guides for writing resumes, cover and follow up letters, preparing for interviews
- Nassau County and New York State Civil Service Announcements
- Test prep books for advanced degrees, licensing exams and Civil Service positions
The Periodical Room has the following:
- Newspapers such as The Chief: Civil Service Leader, Crain’s New York Business, Long Island Business News, The Wall Street Journal
- Periodicals such as Business Week, Forbes and Fortune
More Career and Job Search Information:
- Tutor.com Academic and Career Tutoring
- Best Job Search Websites
- Employment Opportunities at the Manhasset Public Library
Employment Opportunities at the Manhasset Public Library
The employment opportunities at the Manhasset Public Library vary, and applications are accepted continuously at the Circulation Desk. Completed job applications will be kept on file for future openings.
The Library fills full-time positions (35 hours per week), when available, through the Nassau County Civil Service listings. Individuals must take a Civil Service test to become eligible for professional or clerical positions in such titles as Librarian I, Clerk, and Clerk-Typist. Announcements for these examinations are posted on the Nassau County Civil Service Commission website: www.nassaucivilservice.com
Please note: Part-time employment requires taking an exam to be placed on a certified list. Civil Service regulations limit part-time job hours to one half of full time staff hours- 17.25 hours per week.
“Page” positions (book shelvers) are part-time and do not require an exam.
Positions at the Manhasset Public Library include:
*Librarians: Must have a Master’s of Library Science degree, New York State public librarian certification, and placement on the Nassau County Civil Service list.
*Librarian Trainee: Must be enrolled in a Master’s of Library Science degree program.
*Clerk and Clerk-Typist: High School diploma and placement on the Nassau County Civil Service list.
*Page: Those under the age of 18 must have working papers, and are limited to working certain hours when school is in session. To obtain working papers, please contact the nearest school district.